My Blog List

Monday 21 August 2023

A Sprint - In the life of Scrum Master

 



I often hear the question, "What does a Scrum Master do all day?"

To help you visualize the journey of a Scrum Master throughout a sprint, I've compiled a list of activities that you can use as a reference.

This could be more or less what the SM actually does. You will get to know some of the typical tasks of a SM role and can visualize how the SM calendar will look like, in a sprint.


Remember, SM's agenda for the day could be as good as empty apart from the Sprint ceremonies. It is always good to have free space in between agendas so that you can quickly act upon the needs of the team. If you have a fully booked schedule, you may be working on silos which is a big pitfall as you would not notice what is actually going on in the team, or you would not be aware of what the team needs.

I have created the following calendar which illustrates how a Scrum Master's schedule might look during a 10-day sprint. This can help answer questions about the Scrum Master's daily responsibilities, how often ceremonies need to be conducted, and what other meetings are required outside of the defined Scrum ceremonies.



Remember, this is just an illustration based on the visibility of all the SMs I have come across. Your organization might demand you to do more or less, you need to tailor the calendar based on the requirement.

To get a detailed explanation for each of these task, read on Career Transition to Scrum Master

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mistakes to Avoid as a Scrum Master

  As a Scrum Master, I have realised some of my mistakes at a later point in my professional journey which I would like to share. I have als...